A quickie for those nights when you really don’t feel like cooking, or cleaning up much after. Hot Italian sausage shaped into patties, either by cutting the casing open and ‘tablespooning’ it out, or as I like to do ‘toothpaste’ style dispensing it into the skillet. It all cooks up in 15 minutes flat and uses up the leftover random veggies you have on hand AND uses just one skillet I’d say that’s a win-win situation for your fridge and your dishwasher (person)
- 1/2 pound hot italian sausage
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- (1 small potato, piece of red, yellow or green pepper) optional
- some baby spinach
- 1/4 cup Israeli couscous (that’s the bigger kind)
- a little salt
- about 1/2 cup water
- Heat a little oil in your skillet, when hot, cook the sausage patties until browned on one side, flip over and add the chopped carrots to the pan, the couscous, and top it all with the softer vegetables (except spinach). Cook about 2 minutes until patties begin to brown, then add the salt and water and cover.
- Cook until couscous is ready and vegetables are cooked through, stirring periodically and adding a little more water if necessary.
- Top with spinach, close the lid again and steam the spinach just until wilted.
- Serve and enjoy the easy clean-up!
Copyright © 2013 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved